Monday, December 7, 2009

Hills Like White Elephants

Ernest Hemingway sets up a vauge setting and story in order to hold an undertone of conflict amongst the two characters. By never stating directly what the source of conflict was he leaves the interpretation about the issue in the hands of the reader. Hemingway creates a dry/warm atmosphere with short and seemingly caring coversation. He makes the reader question if the characters are actually in love by using short and airy dialogue.
"I'll love it. I love it now but I just can't think about it. You know how I get when I worry." - Matched with the very last sentence. " I feel fine," she said "there's nothing wrong me with. I feel fine."
These two sentences can move the reader into many different forms of interpretation. Why can't the American think about it? Whatever "it," is so overtly discrete it creates the wonder the drags through the passage.
The repetition of "I feel fine," sounds like self reassurance, along with "there's nothing wrong with me." The added "me," at the end makes it a hyper personal statement separating her emotions from the American, making it very clear how she truly feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment