Monday, December 7, 2009

The Secret Sharer

Joseph Conrad mixes the imagination of boredom with the "interference," of reality. When at a task people are prone to separate themselves with their imagination in order to keep their personal interests intact. He creates the transition from the experience of being alone and what we do with our imagination and then how the motions of people bring us back to reality. Where are our own personal interests and desires in this mix of reality and imagination and where did they stem from? Is a question that sparks to my mind when reading this.
"They had simply to be equal to their tasks; but I wondered how far I should turn out faithful to that idea conception of one's own personality every man sets up for himself secretly."
It's interesting to see how Conrad conveys the mind of a writer on pg. 117 when he states, " and he told me the story roughly in brusque, disconnected sentences. I needed no more. I saw it all going on as though I were myself inside that other sleeping-suit." He announces voice and perspective and how if told properly can move the person into another persons perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment